Thursday, April 15, 2010

Grace

We are in survival mode around these parts this week. I got hammered by a nasty head cold. The kind that would normally be no more than a frustrating inconvenience, but when you're nursing a baby and getting up 2-4 times a night, the body is just no good at fighting off a little bug. The cold has hit Scott and Owen in milder form and Josh seems to be doing better than anyone - a benefit of breastfeeding. I'm just thankful we aren't down and out with the stomach flu (knocking on wood).

This is one of those times where being a working mom has its benefits. I was able to take the afternoon off on Wednesday and head home for some extra rest while the kids stayed at daycare. I really don't know how stay home moms manage when they come down with a bug.

The theme for today was supposed to be "survival." Nothing planned, no errands to run, just make sure we all get fed and rested. Movies on queue, and I was fully committed to taking a nap when the kids slept this afternoon. Imagine my dismay when Josh decided not to sleep well this morning, pushing his afternoon nap a full hour earlier than Owen's. I did my best to get Owen into bed as quickly as possible, but by the time he went down, Josh was starting to stir. I laid down thinking, "By the grace of God, I will get 15 minutes."

And, by the grace of God, I got a whole hour of sleep! And then, I got another hour of quietly puttering around the house waiting for Josh to wake up from his longest nap ever - 3 hours! And then, Josh and I lounged around while Owen finished hour three of HIS nap. (That NEVER happens - he must be sick.) The grace was pouring down around our house today... and I feel optimistic that I'll be able to go up skiing with my mommy posse tomorrow.

We'll see if that grace will hold through the night...

3 comments:

Emily said...

I totally know survival mode! I love it when you are going to be satisfied with survival and instead are surprised by something so much better!

Good luck with evening feeding!

Carmen Goetschius said...

Hope you were able to rest enough to head out skiing!!!

Thanks for your post-- a good reminder to give thanks for these kind graces!!!

Colleen said...

God always knows just what we need, and isn't it nice when his ideas are the same as ours! :) I am glad you got some rest. Being sick and mommy isn't easy and is NOT fun! I hope you are feeling better today, as well as your boys!