Friday, June 27, 2008

How do you sleep when you smell like...

Owen woke up happy this morning. As I was brushing my teeth, I could hear him in his room stirring and chatting to himself. He is usually good for 5-10 minutes on his own, and I like to leave him alone for a bit to reinforce that is perfectly okay and normal to spend some alone time in his crib.

When I did go open the door to his room, my first thought was, "Phew - he must really need a diaper change." However, after I opened the blinds, I saw this...


Yes, that would be lentil-barley soup with carrots and sweet potato. Ground and flattened into the sheet and scattered all over the crib. Of course, Owen is standing just outside the photo jumping up and down grinning and laughing. He was wearing this:


Now the kicker, the sheets and his PJs were totally dry. He must have tossed his dinner and then slept RIGHT ON TOP OF IT for a good portion of the night. I don't know how that's possible. How did he not wake up?

I just took in the whole site, stripped him and the bed and tossed everything in the laundry. Seriously, haven't I seen enough vomit over the last year? On the other hand, it was strangely encouraging to think that he was sick-sick and not having a bad reflux spell.

He's actually pretty happy today (though not interested in eating anything other than graham crackers). We went to the pool with all our mom/baby friends and celebrated the first birthday for Will and his mom, Sarah. Hopefully Owen feels better by dinner, but I think we'll pass on the lentil-barley soup tonight.

1 comment:

Kim said...

That is crazy! Poor guy. It doesn't sound like fun to me. We had a similar experience with refried beans...not a pretty sight!