Friday, April 01, 2011

Be Still my Type A Heart

Over at SimpleMom, Tsh is leading Project: Simplify to encourage us all to clean the clutter from our lives. I haven't been playing along so far, but this week, her area happened to coincide with a project I tackled over the weekend. Hooray!

For a long time, I've been wanting to reorganize our pantry. Really, I wanted fancy, matching containers and an excuse to use my label maker - You think I'm Type A?? Plus, Owens near constant climbing on dangerous objects to "see what's for snack" told me that we needed a new system to get all the "kid stuff" onto lower shelves before someone knocked their teeth out.

The final push came from Scott's mom, who made a trip with me to BB&B and then gave me the much coveted organizing canisters for my birthday. No more excuses.

We started with this:

Which turned into this (seriously? who is eating all this food?):
Owen was a great helper with washing out the containers and printing labels. He and Josh also complied with my requests for "one more trip to BB&B" (three total). Granted, the last time required a blatant bribe of ice cream, but we all make sacrifices. In the end, I am grinning every time I open my pantry because now I see this:


Everything kid friendly is on the bottom two shelves and all my bulk foods are out of the plastic grocery bags. And this when I open the baking cabinet: Scott kept rolling his eyes at me as I launched into such a monumental project, but in the end, he rallied and sorted through our dish cabinet. Turns out we probably don't need those commemorative pint glasses from COLLEGE to be right at our finger tips. Instead, the little used dishes found new homes (or the goodwill box), and our dish cabinet - that has been driving Scott NUTS since we started stocking kid dishes - looks wonderful:

I also didn't take a picture of the little cabinet full of coffee mugs and sippy cups - that thing threatened to pour dishware down on anyone that dared open the door. Now, it holds an appropriate number of mugs and sippies, and... get this... the tea and coffee supplies, too! Love.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Oooh! That is pretty! Because our kitchens are so similar (our pantry is exactly the same), you are now making my messy, disorganized one seem much more so.

Mary @ A Simple Twist Of Faith said...

Looks great!

Unknown said...

Awesome! Really good job!

Katie said...

Do you want to come down South and help me organize my pantry?! That is on my "to do" list also! Looks like ya'll did a great job - I am hoping to find time to tackle the same project soon.